Mittwoch, 16. Dezember 2020

Bending cables with different torque

An ongoing discussion is the influence of the torque of clamps. Earlier in this blog I found out that higher torque prevents cable connections from slipping.

Some people claim: Higher torque damages the cable. I wanted to check the effect on cyclic bending.

I took two pieces of 10 mm, 6 x 19 (fiber core) cable. 


The load was a weight of 80 kg.

I applied a torque of 9 Nm  to the first and 30 Nm to the second sample.

9 Nm is the torque stated by the Euronorm EN 13411-5, A. 30 Nm is at the yield point of the bail material.

I checked after 1000, 2000 and 3000 cycles under the clamp.

Here are the results:

 

 Higher torque creates less wire breaks.

 Interesting is that the breaking load was the same with both cables.

I tested a cable where I cut one strand (about 19 wires) with a grinder: 51 kN breaking load.

To check the change in the material I took a cable and loaded it with 1500 cycles, with 10 wires broken.

The breaking load was 29 kN.

I assume that the bending cyclic process damages a cable more than only the broken wires indicate.

Here is the overview: cyclic loaded  aganist not loaded (grinded).

 Conclusion:

The influence of torque in cyclic bending situations is low. 

(Wire breaks occur later, but breaking load is similar).

Cyclic bending should be avoided if high loads are expected.


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen